Thursday, May 30, 2013

$10,000 found

$10,000 found, A 10-year-old boy who found $10,000 in a drawer at a Kansas City hotel where he was staying with his dad turned the money over to police.
Tyler Schaefer found the neatly stacked bills Saturday in the room where he and his father, Cody Schaefer, were staying at a hotel near the airport, The Kansas City Star reported ( Cody Schaefer, a truck driver and mechanic from Rapid City, S.D., meets his former wife in Kansas City every year to get his three children for summer vacation.
Cody Schaefer said Tyler, a Cub Scout, is always on the lookout for clues and treasure.
"He looks for stuff at random," Schaefer said of his son. "He's very observant."
Schaefer said after they checked into their room Saturday, Tyler began opening all the drawers, and it wasn't too long before Tyler announced: "I found money!"
Schaefer thought maybe his son had found a forgotten $10 bill, but when he looked closer he saw the stack of bills totaling $10,000. He wondered if the bills were fake, but saw they had the appropriate watermarks and seemed legitimate.
"We didn't know what to do at first," Schaefer said.
Schaefer told his son they couldn't keep the cash because they didn't know who it belonged to. They handed the money over to two off-duty police officers working security at the hotel. The officers contacted Sgt. Randy Francis, a property and evidence supervisor, who stored the cash at a police facility.
Police said it's unclear how long the money had been there, and they can't track down every guest who stayed in that room recently. Police spokesman Capt. Tye Grant said Thursday no one had claimed the money yet.
According to a Missouri statute, lost money could revert to a finder after about seven months if no one can prove ownership. But the owner then has another year to prove the money is his or hers and claim it from the finder.
"I didn't come there with $10,000 and I didn't leave with $10,000," Cody Schaefer said. "So it was a wash."

$10,000 found news via

Mexico mass kidnap

Mexico mass kidnap, Eleven young people were brazenly kidnapped in broad daylight from an after-hours bar in Mexico City's Zona Rosa, a normally calm district of offices, restaurants, drinking spots and dance clubs, anguished relatives said Thursday.
The apparent mass abduction purportedly happened sometime between 10 a.m. and noon on Sunday morning just off the Paseo de la Reforma, the city's main boulevard, near the Angel of Independence monument and only about 1½ blocks from the U.S. Embassy.
The incident was the second recent high-publicity blemish for the city's largely unregulated entertainment scene, coming 20 days after the grandson of American civil rights activist Malcolm X was beaten to death at another tough bar in the downtown area.
Calling for authorities to find their loved ones, family members marched Thursday morning from the Interior Department building to the Zocalo, the city's main square. Later they protested outside the bar, which bears a sign that reads Bicentenario Restaurante-Bar, and demanded to see the bar's surveillance video.
"How could so many people have disappeared, just like that, in broad daylight?" said Josefina Garcia, mother of Said Sanchez Garcia, 19, her only son. "The police say they don't have them, so what, the earth just opened up and swallowed them?"
She said her son wasn't involved in any criminal activity, and worked at a market stall selling beauty products.
City prosecutors said they had received 11 missing-person reports, but Garcia said residents of the tough downtown neighborhood of Tepito where the victims live thought as many as 15 or 16 people could have been abducted.
The known missing include six men, most in their 20s, a 16-year-old boy and four young women.
While no clear motives had been revealed in the attack, residents of Tepito said there has been a wave of abductions of neighborhood young people in recent months that could be related to organized crime activities. Tepito is the center of black market activities in the city, where guns, drugs, stolen goods and contraband are widely sold.
Mass abductions have been rare in Mexico City, but are common in parts of the country where drug cartels operate and are fighting with rival gangs over territory.
Prosecutors slapped closure stickers on the front doors of the Mexico City bar Thursday, with inscriptions saying the city's anti-kidnapping unit was investigating abductions at the site.
Isabel Fonseca, whose brother is among those missing, said a man who escaped told her that masked men arrived in several white SUVs and took the group away. She said her brother, Eulogio Fonseca, is a street vendor who sells cellphone accessories.
"We want them alive," Fonseca said. "They went out to have fun; they are not criminals."
Mexico City's chief prosecutor, Rodolfo Rios, said investigators had been able to glean very little information on the disappearances.
Relatives believe the youths were at the club, which they said is called "Heaven," around midmorning Sunday, when waiters and bar employees herded them out to the street and armed men bundled them into waiting vehicles and spirited them away.
Rios said police had not located any employees of the bar and no other witnesses had presented themselves.
"We aren't sure what exactly occurred," he said. "No witness has come forward to say anything about any armed gang."
The bar is down a side street from two high-rise office buildings that look out on Reforma and sits across the narrow road from beauty salons and a sushi restaurant.
Guillermo Bustamante, owner of one the beauty parlors, said the street bustles every Saturday morning with people coming and going from the bar.
"Every time we arrived on Saturdays, we would see weird people coming out of that bar," Bustamante said. "There would be many Hummers parked outside and men walking out with a woman on each arm."
Bars of questionable character are often allowed to continue operating, even though drugs may be sold inside and the businesses frequently violate rules governing closing times, parking and serving alcohol to minors.
Malcolm Shabazz, grandson of the late Malcolm X, died May 9 in a fight that erupted after he and a friend were presented with a $1,200 bill at a seedy bar near Plaza Garibaldi, a gathering place for mariachi bands in a rough neighborhood in the downtown area. Two waiters at the bar have been arrested in connection with Shabazz's death.
In June 2008, police raided another Mexico City bar to investigate drug and alcohol sales to minors. A stampede ensued as panicked youths rushed for the exits and police tried to stop them. A dozen young people died in the stampede.

Mexico mass kidnap news via newsyahoo

7 dead in upstate N.Y.

7 dead in upstate N.Y., Seven people, including children, were killed when a tractor-trailer collided with a minivan on a rural two-lane highway in upstate New York, officials said Wednesday.
The rig was headed south around 6 p.m. on Route 13 about 25 miles south of Syracuse when the trailer became disconnected and crossed the center line, hitting a minivan carrying eight people, according to Capt. Mark Helms of the Cortland County Sheriff's Department.
The force of the impact ripped the minivan apart, and both vehicles came to rest on the shoulder of the roadway.
"It was a bad accident," Helms said.
Officials have not released the identities of those killed, but all of them were passengers in the minivan. Two people in the truck were not injured, Helms said.
Officials did not say what caused the accident.
The National Weather Service in Binghamton said there were thunderstorms and steady showers — including hail — in the area around Truxton Wednesday evening.
Cortland County Coroner Whitney Meeker confirmed seven people died in the crash. She said there was one survivor who was taken to Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse. The condition of the survivor was not immediately known.
Meeker said it will probably take the next two days to complete autopsies. She said next of kin would be notified early Thursday at the Cortland County Sheriff's office. She said children were among the deceased.
Douglas Randall, the fire commissioner for nearby Town of Cuyler, said he was directing traffic about a mile north of the crash site when he saw what he believed to be distraught family members being escorted away from the scene.
"They were all meeting down the road at a family member's house," he said. "They were all hysterical."

7 dead in upstate N.Y. news via

Apple $53M settlement

Apple $53M settlement, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) has filed a $53 million preliminary class settlement agreement in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco, potentially allowing $200 refunds to iPhone and iPod Touch customers who claim they should be covered under warranties but were not because of liquid indicators in their devices.
A group of four class representatives were upset over Apple's liquid damage policy prior to Dec. 31, 2009, in which the company would deny coverage under the standard warranty and purchased AppleCare Protection Plan for an iPhone whose headphone jack or dock connector was pink or red, indicating water contact, and for an iPod Touch with the same description before June 30, 2010.
Apple iPhone and iPod Touch users who were covered under a warranty, brought in devices before those dates and were denied repairs or replacements because of a pink or red indicator will be able to go to a website for class members after judicial approval is given.
Jeffrey Fazio, an attorney representing two of the four class representatives, said he expected judicial approval in the next 30 days.
"They're both delighted, as are we," Fazio said of his clients. "We think it's a very good settlement. We think people will get real money and real relief."

Requests for comment to Apple and its attorneys were not returned.
The company has not acknowledged any wrongdoing in the settlement.
The movement to build a class started in April 2010, when Charlene Gallion filed a lawsuit against Apple in U.S. District Court. She and her attorneys proposed that they represent all purchasers of iPhones and iPod Touches in the country.
Apple's former liquid damage policy was changed around December 2009 for iPhone and June 2010 for the iPod Touch. The company then said that a warranty claim should not be denied based solely on a triggered headphone jack or dock liquid contact indicator.
Fazio said the issue with Apple's former policies was that company employees would allegedly base the decision to repair or replace a device based on the indicator without fully inspecting the device.
"If then they find after inspecting them internally, as we allege they should have done from the beginning, they find water damage, frankly, we don't find anything wrong with it," Fazio said.
Now, company employees first ask customers if a device has been damaged by water, then inspect the device, Fazio said.

So far, Fazio said, there are about 150,000 identifiable people who are a part of the class.
"They'll remember. I guarantee it," Fazio said of the potential claimants. "People who spend that much on a device and have to buy another one for reasons they don't believe were valid -- they tend to remember."
Fazio said his team already has contact information for about 130,000 class members. Those Apple customers will not have to submit a claim for reimbursement from the settlement fund and will receive a check, unless they opt out of the settlement class.
Depending on the final number of claims, people could receive about $200 from the $53 million settlement. If the fund is not fully utilized by claimants, the remaining funds will go to non-profit groups and consumer organizations, Fazio said.
Public records show that the agreement was filed on Tuesday, after an initial copy of Apple's agreement was leaked by Wired last month.
According to the document, "liquid contact indicator" is the name Apple used from Dec. 22, 2009 to describe a water contact indicator tape it purchased from the 3M Company and installed in iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
"They weren't designed to detect damage to an electronic device," Fazio said of the indicators. "What they were designed to do is alert a company that there may be a problem. And if they saw that, opened the device and inspected it and actually found a problem, we wouldn't have filed suit."

Apple $53M settlement news via abcnews

Receptionist to CEO

Receptionist to CEO, Karen Kaplan, the CEO of advertising firm Hill Holliday, had humble beginnings. The 53-year-old told Business Insider recently her journey from being a 22-year-old receptionist with the firm–part of one of the largest ad conglomerates in the world–to becoming CEO.

Kaplan joined the company in 1980, and said that she was teased by two other girls who worked there.

“They come on my second day, and they stand in front of my desk,” Kaplan told the website. “They’re looming over me with hands on their hips with their little headbands, and I remember they were like, ‘Just so you know, just because you’re out here and everyone can see you, you are still on the bottom of the totem pole. You are below us, you are below the guy in the mail room, you’re below the guy who delivers the packages.’

Kaplan said of that the two girls, who worked in the switchboard room, “one married a rich guy.”

“The other I lost track of,” she said. “Maybe jail.”

Kaplan said that she started with no experience in advertising but she eventually learned.

“You can make your mark in every single job,” Kaplan said. “I still run into people today who remember me from when I was a receptionist who say, ‘You were the best damn receptionist in the history of receptionists.’”

Boston-based Hill Holliday named Kaplan as its CEO earlier this month.
“There is no one who has worked harder or who is better positioned to lead Hill Holliday to new levels of growth and success. She was born to be CEO of Hill Holliday, and I am absolutely thrilled to hand the reins over to her,” former CEO Mike Sheehan said in a release, according to

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rob Kardashian weight loss

Rob Kardashian weight loss, The reality star not only debuted his Arthur George by Rob Kardashian sock line at Neiman Marcus in Las Vegas on May 25, but he showed off his impressive weight loss. The 26-year-old is sporting a slimmer body after recently revealing he was trying to drop the pounds he gained during his relationship with Rita Ora.
"I still have to lose like 40 to 50 pounds believe it or not," Kardashian told Us Weekly at the event. "Six months, I should be there."
Kardashian revealed he had gained over 40 pounds on "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" last season, saying that his romance with Ora wasn't good for his physique. He continued to discuss his body issues during an E! special with Ryan Seacrest in April, confessing, “Every time I hop in the shower and see myself naked I cry. My penis looks so small now.”
In March, Kardashian told Us Weekly he weighed 235 pounds, but was trying to lose the weight by working out twice-a-day. Now, he's no longer following the strict exercise routine, but is keeping his diet in check.
"I'm kind of doing my own thing with Lamar [Odom]'s trainer. He's on salary since he was 19 years old, so he works for us. I've been spending time with him," Kardashian explained to Us, adding that he's trying to cut out alcohol. "I'm not really drinking out here in Vegas -- I've been here since Wednesday and I leave Monday -- that's way too long," he said. "But I'm trying to get in a healthy direction."

Rob Kardashian weight loss news via huffingtonpost
Search term: Rob Kardashian weight loss

Nurse admits murdering 11

Nurse admits murdering 11, A nurse has pleaded guilty to murdering 11 elderly people by setting fire to the Sydney nursing home where he worked.

Roger Dean also pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to another eight nursing home residents injured by the blaze in 2011.

The 37-year-old registered nurse was on duty when he set the fire and later appeared on television describing his efforts to rescue trapped people at the nursing home in the suburb of Quakers Hill.
He made his pleas in New South Wales state Supreme Court on Monday. His sentencing hearing starts on Thursday. He potentially faces life imprisonment.

Police had questioned him at the home hours before the blaze over theft allegations. He has already pleaded guilty to stealing prescription drugs from the home.

Nurse admits murdering 11 news via abcnews